Doonagore Castle was built in the 16th century, although an earlier castle stood on the site since the 1300s. The castle was granted to Sir Turlough O'Brien of Ennistymon in 1582. During the retreat of the Spanish Armada in 1588, one of the fleeing Spanish ships was shipwrecked off the coast and 170 survivors were captured and hanged at Doonagore Castle. The castle had started to fall into disrepair by the early 1800s, and was repaired by Counselor Gore, but again deteriorated by the middle of the 19th century. In the 1970's, it was restored by architect Rex MacGovern for an American buyer named O'Gorman. The castle is still owned by the O'Gorman family.
From Ireland 2011